10 Myths about Teaching Online

1. Teaching online will save time since I don't need to be in class 3 hours per week.

Reality: Teaching an online class the first time can take up to 40 percent more time than a face-to-face (F2F) class.

2. I am teaching Introduction to Sociolody 101 online for the first time next week, but I have taught it in the classroom for years. I have enough time, don't I?

Reality: Online courses are not F2F class conversions – they require much time, thought, and new approaches to transform an online class into a meaningful learning experience for students.

3. Can I video tape all my lectures so I can put my course fully online next semester?

Reality: We recommend using video lectures sparingly, not more than 10 minutes.

4. I don't know html (or how to make Web pages), so I can never teach online.

Reality: With programs such as Dreamweaver, you do not need to be a computer programmer to build an online class. Also, draw upon the expertise of your academic technology staff and the numerous online resources to help you.

5. My classroom is a very interactive environment so it would not translate well online. I am a charismatic instructor and I connect personally with each student, so I could not be successful in the online environment.

Reality: Good online classes can be more interactive than F2F and allow for shyer students, women, students of color, and second language learners to participate more frequently than they would otherwise. Also, there are numerous ways to bring your warmth and charisma to the online class.

6. Many of my students through the years have had learning disabilities, and if I move my course online it will no longer be accessible to all students.

Reality: The online class may be an excellent learning environment for students who are disabled. There are new resources and programs that allow you to check for accessibility issues.

7. I can easily double my student load and keep the quality the same because the size of the room or number of chairs is no longer an issue.

Reality: Research recommends a class size of less than 20 students for an ideal online class. Given the realities of overcrowding at most colleges and universities, this ideal is rarely achieved. However, you can make your online class feel smaller by creating small groups within the class.

8. Students in an online course do not learn as much as students in a f2f course.

Reality:
    The research confirms that it's about the same and our surveys at CSUSM show that student can learn more in an online course when the online class uses collaborative learning approaches, critical thinking prompts, and discussion boards.
  9. Since 87% of twelve to seventeen-year-olds use the Internet [PEW], online learning will come naturally to them.

Reality: Unfortunately, the skills needed to succeed in an online class are not ones that overlap with teen's current Internet usage. For example, Web-based Education Commission (2000) found the following characteristics: highly motivated, self-disciplined, good time management skills, learn independently, express themselves in writing, tolerant of occasional technical glitches, and not easily frustrated.

10. Once I develop my fully online course, the work is done. In the future, just add students.

Reality: A great online course requires ongoing participation from the instructor to guide and provide feedback to students.

*Created by Linda Scott (CSUSM) and inspired by Joan Van Duzer, CSU Humboldt

http://courses.csusm.edu/resources/webct/asa/myth.html